Friday, November 2, 2012

Music [warning: soapbox]

We are not musical people, really.  But JD and I were both convicted (separately) long ago that the music we put IN our ears comes OUT of our mouths and minds.  Junk in = junk out.  Now, that doesn't mean that we only listen to Christian music, but I promise it makes a huge difference.
 
Sunday mornings we have what the kids call "Family Church."  We sing and pray and do a Bible study in the living room.  They love the singing- we put music videos on the TV and sing and dance along. 
 
Here are our current favorite choices (they are not new songs, just family favorites!)
 
"Like a LION"

"Angel Armies"

 (This is Cate's favorite.  Probably where her desire to dress as Mary came from!):
 
I could add 20 more, but I won't.  You get the picture.
 
 
 
My current obsession is learning the words (beyond the first verse) of some of the old hymns.  I didn't grow up in a hymn-singing church and honestly, I prefer the newer stuff most of the time.  But there is such beauty and truth and solid doctrine in so many of the hymns- and they make great lullabies.  :)

 
 
 
 
PS- It's NOVEMBER!!  I can break out my Christmas music!  (House rules = no Christmas stuff up until after Thanksgiving, but music can start in November.) 
 
PPS- If you're a Pandora fan, my favorite "channel" is Jimmy Needham- you'll get Dave Barnes, Ben Rector, Matt Wertz, Jason Mraz, Parachute, etc.  Good stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment