**Warning! Much blathering to follow.**
It started with my tags.
Well, no. Not really.
I chose my shop name, LoveBeckyShop, because I already had the tags (a Christmas present to myself several years ago.) and I'm not a creative namer.
But I guess it really started when I had to take a combo parenting/clothing class in High School. Yes. I had to. Our tiny school only had a few options and it was the only class that could fill my schedule. In truth, I started out with a bad attitude about it and ended up loving it (the sewing part, anyway.) I already knew how to use a sewing machine in a very basic way from my mom, but Mrs. Roberts showed us how to sew from a pattern, the difference in various fabric types (very basic), how to use a serger, and the incredible importance of the iron.
I NEVER dreamed I would actually use many of those skills again. Ha!
I guarantee I wasn't the only one who thought that about me!
Anyway, eventually I had two girls (hello, parenting class) and a sudden desire to sew for them (holy-moly, that link makes me cringe, and miss my Caty-baby!) I have always loved to tinker with stuff- figure things out- and in a world where everything I did (and do.) had to be done again the next day, I needed an outlet that would STAY DONE.
Enter: my sewing machine. It is a junky, cheapy, under $80, Wal-Mart machine. That I love. Not because I think it's any good, just because it's my friend. (Ha! Weird, yes.)
It scratches my creative itch.
It allows me to tinker and used random math skills.
And feel like I'm not wasting time (Hello, I'm clothing my children!)
So anyway, this summer Mrs. Dot at the BMC bookstore asked if I would be interested in making and selling a few things in the campus store. I wasn't too sure. As people through the years have asked if I would want to sell stuff, I have always always said no, or not right now. And I've always been afraid that if I did it to sell, instead of being an outlet it would become a stress. Another responsibility. And no fun.
But I went for it. I sewed up a ton of BMC Topper stuff, and decided to just go for it. I made tags for my items (Vistaprint is amazing.) and opened an Etsy shop mostly because I put it on my tags- ha!!
I decided to start sewing stuff up in various school colors, beginning with our local high school. Because I know that I've sold a few to Mizzou fans, I added a disclaimer to all of my black and gold tiger stuff:
"**As a born and raised Kansas Jayhawk fan, I feel I must explain that this outfit was created with our local high school in mind, although it would work just as well for the *cough* Missouri Tigers or any other black and yellow or gold Tiger team. ;) "
I just feel that that should be clear. Haha!
I've bribed the kids a few times to model for me:
Even the boys...
I finally got to feeling guilty. I couldn't keep putting pink ruffle pants on my boys. So I used a bit of my early profits on "Mannie" my mannequin. (The girls named her.)
Most of what I've sold have been custom orders.
This particular order did my heart good:
(Although I, personally, would not have picked these two fabrics together. For the record.)
Cate got a kick out of Ruthie's modeling stint-
I haven't pushed my shop on social media, or told very many people that I'm even doing this because it has been going so well without doing any of that.
I am enjoying it, it's not boring, and it hasn't been overwhelming.
Whew. If you've made it this far, wow. You're a trooper.
I only write all this nonsense to explain what I've been doing during my "free time." This little hobby/business is a very humble thing. I'm not trying to grow it. I need it to stay at the very moderate pace I have going right now. The little bit of profit certainly helps (we're saving to go back to camp) and the enjoyment I get has been unexpectedly amazing. But I am not trying to take time away from my REAL job (mommy), or trying to fill my head with extra *stuff*
So, I guess I owe Mrs. Roberts an apology.
I hated the idea of that parenting/sewing class.
But look at me now... No other class affects my every day as much as that one!
So, Mrs. Roberts: I am sorry. And I thank you.
Lesson learned:
I may have my own plans, but the Lord directs my steps.
And His way is always best.

.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)


.jpg)
.jpg)

.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
Love this! You are so talented. Thrilled to know you have an etsy shop!
ReplyDelete